What is Education for Sustainability?
Education for Sustainability (EfS) is a transformative learning process that equips students, teachers, and school systems with the new knowledge and ways of thinking we need to achieve economic prosperity and responsible citizenship while restoring the health of the living systems upon which our lives depend. EfS has multiple, positive effects on student achievement, school culture, community vitality, and ecological integrity. Read a brief history of Education for Sustainability.
The Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education prepares K-12 school systems and their communities to educate for a sustainable future by inspiring educators and engaging students through meaningful content and learner-centered instruction.
NEW! Blog Post - Is this Education for Sustainability? - Jaimie P. Cloud
1. Have you chosen a set of EfS benchmarks for the faculty to design, teach and assess with?
2. Do you document and map the curriculum? If so, is it a living document that is continually improved and innovated over time?
3. Does the faculty use the benchmarks to assess for evidence of EfS?
4. Do they explicitly communicate quality EfS performance criteria to their students?
5. Do you have student work as evidence of the enduring understandings, knowledge, skills and attitudes of EfS?
If the answer is “no” to all the above, then my next question is,
6. Is there a shared understanding within the school community of what Education for sustainability is?
7. What can I see? Where can I look for evidence of EfS in the Curriculum? I learned a long time ago that even if the answers to all my questions are “no”, it doesn’t mean people are not educating for sustainability. It simply means we have to ask the next question, which is “how can we know?”
Related Blog Posts
Professional Development Opportunities
Cloud Institute Summer Design Institute | New York, NY - July 26th - July 31st
Summer Design Studio Ideal for curricula and community program designers, SDS offers structured time, space, coaching and peer reviews to develop units and protocols that educate for sustainability. Participants gain access to expertise, resources and tools required to develop curricula, protocols or action plans designed to implement EfS change initiatives in schools and communities. The Intro to EfS Workshop is included in the cost of the Summer Design Studio. cloudinstitute.org/summer-design-studio
Sustainable Jersey for Schools - Earn Points with The Cloud Institute